My Plumber

Understanding about my plumber

The job of a plumber is to come out and try to fix the leak in question and where the leak can’t be fixed, then at least, you will need a diagnostic and the emergency to be made safe.

Here are some example of some call-outs below:

  • I’ve got water coming through my ceiling and onto the electrics
  • Water leaking from the cylinder
  • Toilet not flushing
  • Leaking radiator
  • Blockage inside toilet
  • Other information is a combination of all the above and is important to read

If your job falls into any of the categories list above, then it is important you read about what to expect below

I’ve got water coming through my ceiling and onto the electrics

If you have water coming through the ceiling, then the first thing the engineer will do is either turn the water off or inspect where the leak is coming from.

If the leak is not accessible and could not be accessed within the hour, the engineer will try to make safe and could request to come back to do further work.

Water leaking from the cylinder

The water cylinder is generally a cylinder that stores hot water and in most situations, a leaking water cylinder generally requires special parts and can only be made safe.

If the cylinder just so happens to be a pressurised cylinder with no hot water storage tank above feeding the cylinder, then this isn’t a job just for a plumber but a job for a plumber who has a special qualification attachment such as unvented certification which is in compliant with G3 of the water regulations document G and the Water Supply (Water Fitting) Regulations 1999. This would mean you would have to ask for an alternative engineer to continue the repair.

Toilet not flushing

If your toilet isn’t flushing and is not causing damage, this may not become an emergency, however, if you chose to get an engineer out in an emergency, we can't guarantee a fix because with many toilets these day the parts are not standard. Majority of the time, the standards parts that contractors carry, can fit the toilets, however, in many cases, it’s reported that the part required has to be specially ordered and you may not have a fix the same day.

Leaking radiator

When a radiator is leaking, it is the job of an engineer to come out and try to fix and where a fix isn’t possible due to a limited amount of stock carried as explained on the website, the only other aim would be to make safe and get the rest of the central heating working subject to the boiler working which can sometime result in getting an heating engineer out which is separate to a plumber.

Blockage inside toilet

Having a blockage inside the toilet and having a blocked toilet can either be the same entity or two separate entities unknown to the customer where either a plumber may be require or a drainage engineer would be required.

The only job a plumber could do is work on a blockage if the blockage is inside the toilet and not past the pan, however, sometimes with a blockage past the pan can only be fixed if you're lucky with just a plumber, however, please bare in mind, there may be a possibility you may need a drainage engineer if the blockage isn’t in the toilet.

To know if the blockage is inside the toilet or past the pan is to run the basin/bath in the bathroom and see if this makes a difference to the toilet, however, we can't guarantee this always being the case but more than likely the toilet.

The only gain by getting a plumber to solve a blockage inside a toilet is that a plumber can take the toilet out where a drainage engineer can’t, so when you make the call to EPHG, make sure know either know where the blockage is or take the risk being the likelihood of who you require being the drainage engineer or the plumber.

Your request for what you have asked for will be documented in the text that we send to you and if you require an alternative engineer, it’s important you contact us before we get an engineer on route to you which in most cases is within 10 minutes of the booking.

Other information regarding all categories

If an agreement is made that you want the engineer to continue the work passed the hour, then this could be a case on case scenario.

If the leak can be located within the hour, then the engineer will need to get an agreement to carry on the work unless the engineer decides to carry on otherwise but may risk not being paid further costs unless further work can be agreed.

If the leak can be located within the hour and fixed within the hour, then no further agreement may be required.

Here is a reminder to your confirmation page from your confirmation text and a link to the complaints page if you feel you would like to make a complaint

Confirmation Page

EPHG Complaints